Tuesday, September 23, 2014

McCall 6600 Shirtdress in Radiant Orchid

Mccall 6600

I think shirtdresses are the perfect seasonal transition piece. They can be buttoned up more or less, sleeves rolled up or down to adjust for warmth or sun protection and they layer well.

McCall 6600


I used McCall's 6600, which is a tent shaped dress, and ended up giving it a slight bit of shaping at the sides so I could wear it unbelted. I did make the matching sash, but it gives the dress a very different, more formal vibe in this particular fabric. I tried it with a variety of belts, but I really like it loose. It's so comfortable this way, and I think it has attitude! Also, a belt would disrupt the drape from the back pleat which is one of my favorite features in this dress.

Mccall 6600

I was surprised when I realized I had sewn something in the Pantone color of the year. At least I think this is pretty close to Radiant Orchid (the color of this fabric varies depending how the light hits it). I do check out the Pantone color forecast every season, but it never really speaks to me. The fabric shops around here don't seem to care about what Pantone says either. As sewists, are you influenced by it? Do you find that those seasonal palettes are well represented in the fabric shops you go to?



This fabric has metallic threads in the warp. I'm not sure of its contents but the burn test seems to indicate it's cotton. The guy at the market said it has some silk in it. I don't know... maybe. In any case, I really like it. It's pretty lofty and has this crinkled texture and subtle sheen that make it unique.


I love the look of the slim cuffs, and check out the pretty vintage button!



I'm really pleased with the fit of the shoulders (the only part of this dress where fit matters, really!) They allow for forward shoulders, and contour mine well without any alterations. Shoulders are the area that I usually need to fuss around with the most, so this was a nice surprise. I think that with such a loose style it's very important that the shoulders sit well. Oh, I did size down though. When they say it is "very loose fitting", they mean it!


One unusual thing about this pattern is that the front placket facing is not turned under, so its edges show when it is unbuttoned. McCall's tells you simply to "finish the long edge of the facing", well, they really should tell you that it will be visible from the outside. I chose to cut the facings along the selvage, so they're self-finished and bulk free, and I like the look of that sliver of darker magenta at the edges. If I make this dress again though, I will probably adapt the facing so it is turned under.


I also used the selvage as a stabilizer in the shoulder seams, as you can see in this inside shot:



Another inside shot: the yoke facing.


I would like to sew a more wintery version, like in a cozy flannel. But I think I can wear this one at least through fall and most of winter, and then again in the spring.

McCall 6600


If you liked this dress, you might also want to check out the shirtdress I made last spring: Classic Shirtdress

18 comments:

  1. Definitely loving the loose shape! This is such a great style to have in your collection, really wearable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilla! It certainly took me a while to realize that "shapeless" clothes can be chic.

      Delete
    2. Well you know I love a good shapeless dress! It's a treat sometimes when I wear something fitted and see that there are curves there after all! X

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fabric, beautiful color… perfectly made! I really love these looser styles on you … they remind me of a golden age hollywood diva incognito on the Riviera and those glasses really help. I would only add a Hermès scarf ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You crack me up! Sunglasses definitely add an air of mystery, don't they? Even better: add a hat ;)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! I thought from the first photo the fabric would be shot with something. It's a great fit on you - sizing down was a very good idea! As always, you make things so beautifully. And no, I never take note of Pantone, but I think the influence filters through subliminally. My local fabric shop is a riot of colour - it follows no trends really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! You're lucky to find lots of colors in you local fabric shop. I see mostly neutrals around here.

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely and super comfy. My favorite combination! The color is so nice too. I like all your little details on this. I didn't know about Pantone colors until a couple years ago on the sewing blogs. :) So that shows how much I use them! I do think it's funny when I sew and unintentionally hit trends or something that is "in".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Em! Clothes absolutely need to be comfy or I know I won't wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress! My thought when I looked at the pics was that you had some silk in there as well. Very pretty. As for Pantone - I look at the palettes kind of tongue in cheek :-) E.g., the fall palette is so drab, like they threw grey mud on it. No orange!! Shirtdresses...I'm not a fan of collars on moi, so I shy away, except when I change the neckline. I do love loose, shifty dresses that speak their lines and showcase a fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! You're the queen of shift dresses!

      Delete
  7. This looks great! I have this pattern, but it's hard to tell what it really looks like from the envelope. After seeing your beautiful version I want to give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marie. As long as you size down so the shoulders aren't huge, I'm sure it will look great on you!

      Delete
  8. Hello Sara - I just found your blog via Stephanie's Vintage Inspiration in Canada, and I love your work, styling and photography. This dress is charmins as is the dark green coat. I know what you mean about Pantone, however. Dressmakers can choose colours that suit them, rather than what the fashion industry is promoting. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen this pattern so many times and passed over it, but it actually looks stunning as a loose dress - and this unstructured look is in right now. The dress looks stunning on you, as does the colour. Thanks for the tip about the facing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really like loose and comfy styles right now :)

      Delete
  10. I love shirtdresses so much! I would love to make a shirtdress like this, and I would love to give it some shape so I can wear it without a belt like you did. It's such a classic style xo

    www.fashionteal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete