Thursday, July 3, 2014

Burda Drawstring Travel Pants

Burda Drawstring Pants

I'm enjoying these simple summer projects. With school off, the kids need to be kept busy, and honestly, it's a little hard to concentrate ;) My younger one loves to sew, so I set her up with my old entry level sewing machine. She dug up her old favorite doll to make clothes for her. We also made this skirt together.


So, my pants... They are #128 from the May 2011 issue of Burdastyle. I made this pattern before in linen several years ago, and they are my favorite, most comfortable summer pants! I needed a second pair, and I made this one out of a cotton with a fine stripe. The only changes I made compared to my first pair were to replace the square shaped front pockets with classic slant pockets ( I like both : the original square pockets really are an interesting feature) and to use the welt pockets in the back, which I had skipped the first time around.


Here's a detail of the welts. I topstitched them all around for that casual look, with bar tacks on either side :


And the inside : I like my pocket bags to extend into the waistband so I drafted them differently than Burda's instructions.
I took these pictures after wearing them all day, hence the rumpled aspect. But after all, it's more realistic this way. These pants are destined to be rumpled :)


As far as fit is concerned, my main alterations were to shorten the front crotch and straighten the hip curve, both of which I consistently need to do with Burda patterns. I also made the leg a smidge slimmer.


These will be great for travel because they are relaxed and comfortable, the fabric is lightweight and sturdy, and dries really fast. I wore them yesterday to the beach and got them wet but they dried in about half an hour. Who needs synthetics?
And to close, a picture of blooming artichokes. Aren't they beautiful?

Artichokes. Jardin Public, Bordeaux
See another summery pair of pants here: Comfy Linen Pants


13 comments:

  1. These look great … very comfy and the welt back pockets give them a touch of style. Your little one is so cute... is so nice you and her sewing together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! My girls are very creative and that makes me happy:)

      Delete
  2. Very nice! And I agree lovely to see your daughter interested in sewing! Oh for the summer in France......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Summer is nice around here. Not as touristy as some other parts of France.

      Delete
  3. Great pair of trousers, and I love the skirt you and your daughter made. I saw a very similar skirt in the window of J Crew recently and thought it must be very easy to replicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, ours is super simple, with an elastic waist. The trickiest part for my daughter was squaring the pocket corners.

      Delete
  4. Lovely projects both, and great photos! It's very neat that you are sewing with your daughter. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. Yes, I'm glad she got the sewing bug :)

      Delete
  5. Great pants! And I had no idea that artichokes are thistles...so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! Well, neither did I ;)

      Delete
  6. You take simple patterns to another level, so chic and comfortable. Love your pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made the same pants three times already, and I love them too! Just found your blog today and I really admire your style, I'm looking forward to anything new you make :)

    I blogged about my pants here:
    http://purplepleats.blogspot.fi/2014/05/my-favorite-pair-of-comfy-pants-ever.html

    ReplyDelete