Thursday, June 5, 2014

Water Lilies Skirt


This is the Burdastyle Michelle skirt I made last week and posted to the Me Made May flickr group on the last day.
MMMay'14 day31

Do any of you remember the days when Nora Abousteit and Benedikta Von Karaisl started up Burdastyle.com and offered a new free pattern every week, independently from the magazine? We, thousands of sewing enthusiasts, waited impatiently for Monday to come, so we could discover the new free pattern! I made my first Michelle back then (see it in my last post) and it is still my go-to Summer skirt. It feels airy in the heat because it has no waistband, is just full enough to be comfortable and is made out of a light cotton. I intended for my new one to be just as summery... However, I found this very interesting 100% polyester fabric at the market and it wanted to be a Michelle. Who am I to argue with fabric?


It has a loose weave, sort of like a tweed.


The print is reminiscent of Monet's water lilies. Let me just say, I personally dislike it when fashion copies Fine Art. I think it's kind of gimmicky. Yes, even when Yves Saint Laurent did it. To me, a "Mondrian dress" is a caricature of Mondrian's paintings... So, this skirt is not my Monet skirt or anything. It's just a skirt made with interesting fabric that happens to reference Monet's most famous paintings.


I find this fabric oddly beautiful, even though it has all the ingredients to be tacky: polyester, faux impressionism, shiny bits... It is often a fine line between tasteful and kitsch.
This close up shows its real colors much better than the photos of me wearing it. This fabric has a sheen that makes it very difficult to photograph.
It's easier to see the weave on the wrong side. There are blue metallic threads in there and they show through on the printed side as well.


I have no idea what type of fabric this is. If one of you does, please chime in! I'd love to know as I bought more in a different print. Maybe home dec?
So, my new skirt isn't exactly summery in this fabric, but it's perfectly fine for Spring in Bordeaux! I've worn it a couple of times already. I like that it's working out quite well as an everyday skirt worn with a sweater or tee.
I have enough left of this fabric in this particular print to make something else. Maybe a cropped jacket (though I would never wear the two together), what do you think?


One interesting fact about the Michelle pattern is that the front and back are exactly the same, so don't worry if you get them mixed up, it will make no difference whatsoever :)

See another of my favorite skirt styles here : Nettie Bodysuit + 90s Sarong Skirt




14 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! Looks amazing with that top! You took a potentially kitschy thing and made it stylish! I really like the skirt design.. do you think it would look good in raw linen? Im so tempted to try it ... then of course I would have to figure out what to wear it with...
    BTW your styling is so much better than Burda's ... theirs is "confusing"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sasha, yes! Please make it in raw linen. It would be the perfect Summer skirt that I really wanted to make. And It would look terrific on you!

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric and it looks lovely made into that style of skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate to what you say about the fabric/fashion. (Although I confess that I have wanted for some time to make a sweater that is loosely inspired by van Gogh's almond tree blossoms.) In fact, I had a dull-gold-coloured dress at one point that was made of a similar fabric. It sounds horrible, but in fact I thought it was lovely. I have no idea what the fabric is called though. I am looking forward to making this skirt. Like Sasha, I was thinking of linen if I can pick some up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! I hope you'll let us see it when you're done :)

      Delete
  4. I love this fabric! I know it's polyester, but the colours make up for any deficiency in the fibre content! I'd like to see a little jacket made in this, it could definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think a jacket with simple lines might work...

      Delete
  5. Polyester or not, this fabric is oh so pretty! I wish all polyester fabric would look like this! And I think a little jacket would look great! Love the colour of your top with the skirt. Stylish as always, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it nice when a fabric speaks to you so clearly? It really suits the pattern, and looks great. Sometimes polyester shimmer can surprise! And I agree, a simple little jacket would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it takes years before I figure out what to do with some fabrics, so it's nice when this happens!

      Delete
  7. I love that fabric! I'm about to go to an art museum to see some Impressionist paintings. :)

    ReplyDelete