Friday, June 20, 2014

Dark Waters Dress


I really love this fabric. It's a soft and drapey rayon challis, doesn't wrinkle too much, and the color is such an intense cobalt blue! The print sort of imitates tie dye, but it looks a lot like ripply water to me. Not shallow water, but dark and mysterious, which is even better.


I wanted a very simple, floaty dress and used pattern 122 from the July 2011 issue of Burdastyle.


I skipped the waistline casing so I can wear it unbelted if I choose. It feels weightless in the heat.

Dark Waters in the trees

A very simple project, packable and easy going, but it can go out to dinner. Just the kind of clothes I want to sew right now. With the mercury rising, I don't want to get involved in complicated projects.


The neckline is finished with purchased synthetic bias tape and a pretty little button. I also used the bias tape for the button loop and as piping for the shoulder detail. I took this detail shot after wearing it all day.


Here's another shot of it unbelted. It's so comfortable this way :)

 

If you like interesting prints, check out my Water Lilies Skirt
And here's another blue Summer dress: 70s Maxi dress




18 comments:

  1. Lovely as always, Sara! The fabric is interesting and the finishing very nice. A perfect summer holiday dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning shade of blue. The design of the dress is perfect for the fabric. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow … what a wonderful color!!!.. I think the details in the neckline and shoulders make the differnce between simple and researched simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! Yes you're right. I'm always tempted by plain simplicity, but more refined details always take things up a notch.

      Delete
  4. That fabric is amazing - the blue is gorgeous. I really like the pattern you have used - it reminds me of my favourite 'sack' dresses, but with more shape and sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think shapeless is ok when it's hot :)

      Delete
  5. Chic, vibrant and perfect for summer. It looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty on you. Lovely fabric and looks like a really versatile dress. Love that it has pockets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! Yes, the pockets make it even more comfortable.

      Delete
  7. This dress is so pretty! I also love your tasseled belt, did you make that too? The fabric choice is great, and the finishing and extra details around the neckline are such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebonyh! I didn't make the belt but it would be quite simple to make I think :)

      Delete
  8. It's gorgeous and the finishing is impeccable.
    Where did you find this fabric ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! The fabric was a remnant I found at Toto in Bordeaux. It was just long enough for this dress.

      Delete
  9. The print is really nice. I agree it is an easy to wear and accesorise dress...I checked and I have this pattern (yay!) I get easily tangled in complicated poryects, I should take our advise and go for fine looking, clean lined garments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merche! I do gravitate toward simple lines, but I admire beautiful, complex garments on others :)

      Delete