Thursday, May 29, 2014

70s Maxi Dress


I wanted a change from my usual knee length skirts, and since I won't be going shorter, I decided to try out a maxi dress.

I love how flowy this one is. There certainly is a lot of fabric in that skirt and it's wonderful how it swooshes about my legs as I walk. The fabric is a soft and flowy, gauzy cotton with a diagonal weave and I think it works really well for this style. The indigo color makes it fit right in with my laid back Summer staples. The pattern is vintage McCall's 6544.


This dress is supposed to have gathers in the back neckline but I ended up getting rid of them. It was just too much volume. I did this by taking a long dart at center back down to the waistline casing to get rid of the excess fabric. So it looks like there is a center back seam down to the waist. I don't mind the dart, but if I make this dress again I will take a wedge out of the pattern at center back, tapering all the way down to the hem. It just seems neater :)


I also took out some width at the sides. I always expect vintage patterns to have less ease than modern ones. Vintage Burdas for instance tend to be smaller in the shoulder/upper bust area. However, I've been finding that American vintage patterns tend to size big, at least the ones I've tried, including from the 50s and 60s. Do you agree?  So, yes, I trimmed this one down quite a bit and as you can see, there's still plenty of ease.



They have you sew in a tiny snap to hold down the neckline:


And a hook and eye to fasten the waist under the tie. both seem to perform well.
Aren't those buttons pretty?


This dress is really comfortable and the soft fabric makes it nice and cozy. This style is a change from what I'm used to, but I like it. Are maxi dresses a staple in your Summer wardrobe?



More 70s styles: Saint Laurent inspired safari jacketclassic shirtdress.

12 comments:

  1. Nice job! I must admit that when I see maxi skirts on their own they don't appeal to me, but this dress is very flattering and I like the colour and flow of the fabric. You look terrific. I might have to make something similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I could easily make the same things over and over again, but it's nice to try something new.

      Delete
  2. It’s amazing how good such a simple line can look when it’s well made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your post on burdastyle and had to come check it out! I love that vintage pattern! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So stylish. Love this dress. Looks comfortable too...and it has got pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Merche! Yes, pockets really add to the cozy factor...

      Delete
  5. My pattern came in the mail yesterday - so excited to make this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

      Delete
  6. I love this! I'm definitely going to try and hunt down this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I don't think the pattern should be too difficult to find :)

      Delete