Thursday, April 3, 2014

Silk Tunic Dress


It was sunny out today and this dress felt nice and airy. I love the feel of the lightweight crepe de chine and how it picks up the slightest breeze. I think it will be wonderful in the Summer. And on cooler Spring days, I can layer my safari jacket over it.


Did you notice the masonic symbols on the ancient doorway? We visited a secret masonic temple in someone's private chateau once. It's not in use anymore, but the owner has kept it as it was when her ancestors used it, with all of the artifacts, including an authentic Egyptian sarcophagus. It seems the original masons were the builders of the pyramids.


The pattern is 122 from the February 2013 issue of Burdastyle. The only alteration was to make the sleeves 3/4 length.
Also, I originally sewed the elastic casing at the waist, but I didn't like it.  I prefer to have the option to wear the dress loose when it's really hot, or to belt it at the waist or hips. So I unpicked the casing, which is a rather scary thing to do on fine silk, but it worked out ok. I also made a tie belt out of the same crepe de chine, so that gives me another option.


I used a tiny gold button at the neckline, and as you can see, there's a bit of gold in the print as well :)


13 comments:

  1. OMG I love that little button detail on the neckline and the slit! Gorgeous dress and well done on such finnicky fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, just looking at this outfit makes am wanna take a vacation in some sunny, summery place. I agree with you about the tie belt ... besides being practical for the reasons you mentioned is also more ... chic.. than the elastic thingy,; and the gilded button is a really nice touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha. it's nice to think about Summer, isn't it ?

      Delete
  3. Your dress is just stunning! beautiful fabric and the silhouette looks so lovely on you. I love the style of the sleeves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you like it :)

      Delete
  4. The dress is so pretty on you, and I'm beyond impressed with your detail on the neckline. For me, those little turned tubes are hard to get right in such a tiny size. I was smiling at your experience with the casing at the waist. I did the same thing with a knit tunic that I made several years ago--got the elastic in and changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharan! Have you tried the bobby pin trick for turning thin tubes? I find it very helpful.

      Delete
    2. No--I'll have to look it up!

      Delete
  5. Sara, I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award because I enjoy your blog so much. My link is here: http://pieceworktreasures.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-liebster-blog-award-thank-you-sarah.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow , thank you Lisa! what an honor.

      Delete
  6. Just come across your blog, absolutely love your creations.
    Sassy Sewing Bees. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete